Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Miyako Odori in my Mind

beauty / smile / woman / beautiful / girl / makeup : maiko (geisha apprentice) ichimame, kyoto japan  舞妓 市まめさん  

On my bucket list is to attend Miyako Odori - the largest and the most famous dance performance of the mysterious geiko {geisha} and maiko {apprentice geisha} in Gion Kobu. These colorful and artistic performances of geiko and maiko happen every year from April 1-30 usually when cherry blossoms are in bloom. I know in my heart one day I'll be there but tonight, I will be satisfied with this card inspired by spring kimonos worn in these dances.

I was also inspired by Moxi Fab World  "DIY Embellishments Challenge" and the sketch from CardPatterns. Using chiyogami papers from my stash, I created the kimono ensemble as my DIY embellishment {collar, kimono dress and obi} for my little "geiko".
 
Another DIY embellishment is the hairpiece, which I did using a small flower lace and attached a pink gem to match the kimono.
Then I stamped  the face using my hero arts Japanese dolls collection and attached it to the kimono.
And ... Viola! My little geiko is ready to perform!
By the way, traditional tea ceremonies are also part of the festivities so I added this tiny tea pot on the simple sentiment.

おやすみなさい
Oyasumi nasai!





3 comments:

  1. Wow, this is great! Love the kimono that you made and the whole idea behind the card. The teapot is so clever! Thank you for playing along at Card Patterns!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Mei Ann! Thanks for linking this up to the DIY Embellishments Challenge in the Moxie Fab World! I'm so glad you joined in on all the fun! :)

    ...and I hope you make it there one day, too. I'd love to come with! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! Wonderful creation ~ love her ^_^ ~~ thanks, ^_^ (A Creative Harbor)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your sweet words.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...