Monday, July 21, 2014

Cherry and Lavender Jam {Yes, I can!}


Canning food is something that I've always wanted to do. On my to do list this year, this item is written on my fall schedule. But since I have a basket full of delicious fresh cherries in the refrigerator, I decided to start canning  now.

I wanted my first fruit canning experience to be special so I looked in the garden for something that will enhance my recipe.

The lavender plants are  blooming ... hmmm ... why not? .... Here it goes ....


Oh la la! Tres agreable! Tout simplement delicieux!


Cherry and Lavender Jam
Ingredients:

4 cups of pitted fresh cherries (I used vista cherries)
1 large lemon  (zest and juice)
2 1/2 cups white granulated sugar
3 tbsp fresh lavender flowers (optional)

Procedure:
Carefully prepare jars for canning. I followed this procedure from Country Living. This recipe can fill 2 small jars.

Chop cherries in small pieces (not to small so that you will have big pieces of cherries when you spread the jam on your toast)
Combine the chopped cherries, lemon zest and juice and lavender in a large non-reactive sauce pan.
Cook in medium heat while stirring occasionally. Bring to boil.Cook until cherries are wilted and completely soft.
Add sugar and stir until dissolved.
Bring to boil for another 5 minutes. Stir while cooking to prevent jam from sticking to the pan.
Turn off the heat when the jam appears a bit thick and looks like it is beginning to gel.
Transfer the jam into clean and dry jars leaving 1/2 inch headspace and cover tightly.
Cool at room temperature then keep in refrigerator. Good for a couple of months.

Enjoy!




No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your sweet words.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...